Old 27-09-2019, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Fencing question!

On 27/09/2019 22:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 21:56:56 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 25/09/2019 15:21, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/09/2019 14:51, Primrose wrote:

My apologies to you, I forgot to get the link, hope this works:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zixhz1j6j...nel_1.jpg?dl=0

Mostly I see JPEG artefacts but the gunge looks to me like pine resin
from a knot as Nick suggested. Is it sticky and smelling of pine?

Agreed.

I'm not so sure. It's along a crack in the wood, not a knot.

If it smells of pine - ignore it. If not - worry. It could be fungal.

Andy

If you follow the growth rings, it looks like a knot that's been cut
through almost lengthwise, which would explain the long crack (knots
often crack across their centres) and why the resin is oozing along
its length.

Scrape a bit of it off, if it's sticky then it's resin, if dry then see
if it will burn, if it does, again Resin,