Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default organic matter ???

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 8:50:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 10/6/19 6:30 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 11:13:43 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 10/5/2019 8:55 PM, T wrote:

Do you dig in the sheep scat or just throw it on top?

About compost ... what do you have access to that you can use for compost?

--
Maggie

I built a three-bin compost system some years ago. Each bin is 4 feet wide, 6 feet deep, and 8 feet high. We fill one with weeds each summer and rotate using them each year as they compost. Here's a pictu

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...psp7iob3xu.jpg

Paul

Hi Paul,

The bin looked open.

And does it get hot enough to kill weed seeds?

-T

The bin is open to the air; the sides are woven field fencing and the removable doors in the front are metal mesh stapled to 2x4 frames. My wife, who uses the compost, says that she does indeed get weed seeds in the home grown compost. However, every year we get a pickup truck load of compost which does not contain any weed seeds at the county landfill for $10 . For starting seeds, she fills the bottom 2/3 of the pot with the home brew, then makes a sterile mix of county compost, peat moss, and perlite for the top third.. Any weed seeds in the bottom section die out before reaching the surface.

Paul