Old 10-10-2019, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default New greenhouse -- what's a good make?

On 10/10/2019 18:50, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/10/19 18:30, Another John wrote:
Hello all,

As the Subject says I'm think of renewing our greenhouse, which is long
past its best.Â* It's bare aluminium, 8'x6', and was being thrown out by
our neighbour when we got it 15-20 years ago.

What is a good make?Â* The choice is enormous!Â* I don't want to spend a
fortune on any kind of "Gucci" job, but I'd like a high quality one. I
would assemble it myself.

It sounds mundane, perhaps, but would B&Q be a good place to start
looking?Â* I'm after a 10'x6, and perhaps one of those nice-looking
(powder coated??) green ones would be nice.

TIA for your opinions
John

I got a Halls 8 x 14 Magnum 7 years ago from South West Greenhouses. I
had excellent service from them. They erected it too. Mine was in plain
aluminium, but you can get it in green.
https://www.swgreenhouses.co.uk/hallsmagnumgreenhouse.html

The greenhouse has been fine, standing up to strong winds without
problem. The only thing I would add is that toughened glass is essential
IMHO. Other extras are up to you.

These are the people I have used, a great selection.
I got 2 of the basic 8 x 12 houses which I linked to make a 8 x 24 I
added extra braces and set them on single concrete block base with a 4x1
timber nailed on top of them to screw the house down to. so I have a
house with a door at each end, a fair number of vents which I fitted
with automatic vents to.
"You pays your money and you takes your choice"