Old 17-10-2019, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk is offline

Default French Bean??

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 10:18:14 AM UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
This was my first year growing these (normally grow runners) after a
shaky start they have grown well and cropped well, they are so much
easier to use than runners I shall stick to them for the future.

My question is having just got back from two weeks away, there are a lot
of large pods starting to ripen, can one use the ripe beans dried (or
maybe frozen) do they need boiling?

Yes, definitely, or you can kill yourself. I soak them by pouring
boiling water on them, letting it cool, pouring it off, and repeating
until the water comes clear - that reduces the wind they cause. But
you then MUST boil them for 5 minutes (I do it for 10), to destroy
the toxins. After that, simmer them or put them into a slow cooker
until they are soft - the water you use for that is fine to use as
well as the beans. And never add salt until after that.

I grow Greek gigantes (actually a runner), borlotti, cherokee trail
of tears and (more by accident than design) shiny fardenlosa for use
dried. They keep for years when dry, but you must seal them against
weevils (airtight isn't needed).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Its the boiling bit I needed to know, we thought it would be the same as other dried beans but I just wanted to check (and they are a climbing variety) Have to say I am impressed.