Old 18-10-2019, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant IDs, anyone?

On 18/10/2019 18:30, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/10/19 17:14, Another John wrote:
Hello folks: can anyone identify two plants that are currently
prospering in our garden?Â* I hope you can see them at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Ebgj4oWNHEwXkdi9

Plant A is as you can see about as tall as my wife, who is 5'4". The
leaf is alongside.Â* Personally I think it's an evening primrose that's
too late for its season. OTOH, the leaves are also reminiscent of a
teazel, but without a prickle in sight.

Plant B: again, as tall as my wife. She thinks it's a dahlia, gone mad
because it's missed its season (or perhaps because of the excessive
drinking it has been forced to do this year).Â*Â*Â* It's not in "the dahlia
bed", because we don't have a dahlia bed: my wife likes to "just bung
'em in where she finds a space", hence she wouldn't be surprised if it
is a dahlia.

Neither plant has the faintest signs of buds let alone flowers.

Cheers!
John (and wife)

Plant A is not a teasel. As you point out, there are no prickles on the
stem. Also, the lateral veins on the leaves are opposite; with a teasel
they are alternate.

Plant B could well be a member of the daisy family (Asteraceae). To me
it seems to be something like an Echinacea, but I could well be wrong.

SRH will be along shortly with the right ID!

Not this time. (Surely there's still someone better on garden plants
than me here?)

Plant A is not an evening primrose - plant A has opposite foliage, and
evening primroses have alternate foliage. (More generally it didn't jump
out to me as an evening primrose - wrong type of hairiness and so on -
but phyllotaxis is a nice qualitative character to confirm that.)

With the sessile (amplexicaule? auriculate?) opposite leaves teasel
looks closer, but as noted there are no prickles, and the shape of the
plant is wrong - the branches are far too spreading.

I wondered about a Buddleja sapling, but Buddleja leaves taper to the base.

The foliage looks quite distinctive - it may that it will be obvious in
hindsight when someone puts a name to it.

Plant B, with its narrow leaflets, reminds me of Bidens, but it's much
too big for Bidens tripartita. Possibly Bidens frondrosa could get that
big, but I'd be looking for a tall horticultural Bidens (as opposed to
the bedding plants). However the plant looks likely to be family
Asteraceae, subfamily Asteroideae, supertribe Helianthodae, but that
covers a lot of ground.