Old 19-10-2019, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant IDs, anyone?

On 18/10/2019 22:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 18 Oct 2019 17:14, Another John wrote:
Hello folks: can anyone identify two plants that are currently
prospering in our garden? I hope you can see them at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Ebgj4oWNHEwXkdi9

Plant A is as you can see about as tall as my wife, who is 5'4". The
leaf is alongside. Personally I think it's an evening primrose that's
too late for its season. OTOH, the leaves are also reminiscent of a
teazel, but without a prickle in sight.

Plant B: again, as tall as my wife. She thinks it's a dahlia, gone mad
because it's missed its season (or perhaps because of the excessive
drinking it has been forced to do this year). It's not in "the dahlia
bed", because we don't have a dahlia bed: my wife likes to "just bung
'em in where she finds a space", hence she wouldn't be surprised if it
is a dahlia.

Neither plant has the faintest signs of buds let alone flowers.

I think the first one is Great Willowherb, Epilobium hirsutum

I think I would have recognised Great Willowherb, but on first glance it
wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to say why it wasn't - take a
closer look at the leaf venation patterns.

--
SRH