Old 22-10-2019, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant IDs, anyone?

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

When I visited the Poison Garden at Alnwick Castle there was one plant
that I couldn't abide being near. Henbane aka Hyoscamus niger. I could
smell the toxin in the air from its flowers and it was unpleasant.
(better than toothache I suppose if you were desperate)

http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/ato...amus_niger.htm

At least with Daturas and Brugsmanias the flowers usually smell gorgeous
even if the bruised stems smell terrible.

It had been a bad wet summer so several of the more interesting
semitropical specimens were dead mouldering brown stems. Best visited in
late summer after a long warm spell to see the most developed plants.

Gloriosa doesn't smell significantly, but it is SERIOUSLY poisonous,
much worse than anything that is naturalised in the UK, and I didn't
know if a single leaf or flower could kill a child.

The main UK problem comes from contact poisons getting in eyes or on
sensitive skin, but we have nothing compared to the manchineel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.