Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Opinions on bead filters appreciated

I have heard that bead filters are not as wonderful as advertised. They were
originally made for swimming pools for use with chemicals (and sand, not beads) with
no real crud. when used with ponds with fish they get gunked up and eventually
accumulate H2S inside (may take up to 3 years to happen). When backwashed the
outlet is on the bottom, but the gas in on the top and isnt removed unless taken the
whole thing apart. so the H2S starts getting dumped into the water and the first
sign is the fish are piping, lethargic and at heading into the return water. The
beads eventually clump to the point where they are just one big mass.
it isnt a mechanical filter at all, AND the biobugs need a lot of oxygen to function.
since it is closed, only the oxygen in the water is available. that is unlike a
veggie filter or any filter open to the air. Jo Ann can explain what the problem is
better 1-251-649-4790
INgrid

"Tony & Diane VonNeida" wrote:

I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a bead filter for my 8500 gal pond.
I'm looking at Aquadyne, Challenger 60 by Fluidart, and also Aquabead.
Wondering if anyone has experience with any of these? Would appreciate all
opinions.
thanks,
tony