Old 08-01-2020, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinth bulbs

On 08/01/2020 11:26, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

My instinct is that if shoots have already started to form the bulbs
have already broken dormancy and will flower.

As a childd I remember us planting them, and hiding them in the airing
cupboard, so they would be dark, but certainly not cold, they seemed to
flower ok.

Likewise. The modern forcing approach for prepared hyacinth is to
deliberately chill them in late September to force flowering at Xmas. It
never quite works for me with flowers usually appearing just after Xmas.

Gardeners world has a bit about it:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-t...yacinth-bulbs/

RHS is more authoritative and tells me what I am doing wrong:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=102

By comparison watering a Christmas cactus sparingly in June will pretty
much ensure good flowering behaviour at Christmas time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown