Old 26-04-2003, 01:25 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Questions about Nelumbo & Systematics

I would not know.
A couple points:
1) according to Mabberley (1997) it is just the one species (with former
species "sometimes treated as subspecies"). In how far this is "generally
accepted": your guess is as good as mine

2) There is no way for proper nomenclature to be "N. nucifera nucifera and
N. nucifera lutea" since when referring to ranks below the level of species
it is a requirement to indicate rank. A proper name might be Nelumbo lutea
ssp nucifera

3) The placement by cpDNA of Nelumbo near Platanus and Proteaceae is one of
the high points of APG. If this would have changed this would have been big
news. So, unlikely

4) There are, seemingly interminable, lists of references at the APG-site
PvR

==============
Quegmo Backwater schreef
A couple questions...

1. Are N. lutea and N. nucifera generally considered the same species? I
came across a SEM analysis
(http://www.uta.edu/biology/arnott/po...troduction.htm) which cites
a paper [Borsch, T. & Barthlott, W. 1996. Classification and
Distribution of the genus Nelumbo Adans (Nelumbonaceae)], that
apparently states the only significant difference between N. lutea and
N. nucifera is flower color, and that they are now classified as
subspecies. Has anyone read this paper? Is the proper nomenclature N.
nucifera nucifera and N. nucifera lutea? Speaking of names, I've seen
other "species" of Nelumbo mentioned on the net...N. alba grandiflora,
N. nucifera caspicum, N. nucifera rosea, N. pentapetala and N.
pekinensis rubra. Are all of these just cultivars and/or obsolete

nomenclature?

2. The newest phylogenetic tree I have is Soltis et al 1999 (the one
published in Nature). Is everything pretty much the same now, or has
alot of stuff been moved around since then? Can anyone point me to
something more current/accurate (if necessary)?

Quegmo Backwater