Old 28-03-2020, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default No smoke without fire

On 28/03/20 11:49, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/03/2020 11:53, David wrote:
Our local waste tip has closed for the moment.
Green bin collections are being suspended to reduce the risk to workers
(allegedly - may just be to save money).

So for those with anything to dispose of which is not compostable in a
compost heap (if you have one) the top option seems to be to burn it on a
traditional garden bonfire.

If you allow it to become tinder dry there isn't much smoke at all.
Someone had a terrible bonfire yesterday with a fog of foul smelling
smoke that clung to the ground I could smell the styrene in the air.

No doubt there will now be a steep rise in complaints about smoke.

I have already seen reports of large garden bonfires getting out of
control (although not, I think, local to us).

Lidl had some dustbin type incinerators the other day.

They work pretty well but don't last all that long if you use them very
often. My neighbour has one. I am enough of a pyromaniac to build a
bonfire that will go up very fast with no appreciable smoke. The trick
is in waiting until most of the stuff is bone dry.

And it's a calm day. Nothing like setting light to somebody else's
property, or sending a cloud of smoke across a main road!

--

Jeff