Old 26-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Quegmo Backwater

Default Complementarity of plants to animals; Chloroplasts is complimented

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

Are there any intermediates in plants, and by that I mean any cell walls
of plants that allow for calcium to be the basis rather than carbon?

To say that 'bones are made of calcium and plant cell walls are made of
carbon' is an utterly ridiculous oversimplification. Bone is composed of
a melange of several different calcium minerals, and is also about 1/3
protein. Plant cell walls are (generally) composed of pectin, pectic
acid, various glucose polymers and proteins. Pectic acid is formed from
pectin molecules glued together with calcium and magnesium ions. Bone
and plant cell walls are not analogously derived structures, and there
is no inherent dichotomy to be found.

With my Trek carbon-fibre bicycle, I tried to make a human skeleton
system out of carbon. If it is impossible then it would impossible for
the reverse of trying to make a plant whose framework is no longer
carbon but that of calcium.

Pectic acid is high in calcium and serves as a structural substrate in
plant cell walls. Clearly there is no deep underlying quantum spookiness
going on which prevents plants from using calcium as a structural
component. The same goes for the inverse, as there is an abundance of
carbon in animal bone.

If true, what I suspect is the impossibility barrier is the electrical
system
that each living organism possesses. If you switch calcium for carbon
or carbon for calcium then you destroy the electrical communication
system of the organism and so a replacement is impossible.

Of course an organism would have problems if you swapped its calcium for
its carbon and vice-versa. They are two wholly different elements.

Chloroplasts. The inverse or reverse in animals (the compliment) would
be some organs or system of animals that makes or allows animals/bacteria
to move around. Plants are stationary for the most part. In bacteria that
are
able to move around such as the flagella. Then the inverse or reverse or
Compliment of chloroplasts is the flagella for certain type of bacteria and
those
bacteria would then be members of the animal kingdom.

Some plants have motile sperm, with a flagella. Plants therefore have
both chloroplasts and their (your) "antipode", flagella. Your reasoning
about bacteria being animals because they move is about 200 years outdated.

Perhaps you should try less writing and more reading.

http://www.c14dating.com/bone.html
http://sunflower.bio.indiana.edu/~rh.../cellwall.html

Quegmo