Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron keleticum

On 07/05/20 19:02, RobH wrote:
On 07/05/2020 18:59, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/05/20 18:35, RobH wrote:
On 07/05/2020 17:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/05/20 16:27, RobH wrote:
I have had this for coming upto to 3 years now in a 12inch pot on our
patio, and the picture on the label shows loads of blue flowers.
For the first 2 years there were no flowers at all,and this year there
is just one solitary purple ish flower.

Is this normal or have I missed something, like putting it in a
border??
Thanks

Blue-flowered rhododendrons exist only in the minds of their sellers and
their photoshopped catalogues. There are *no* blue-flowered rhodos.

When very young, rhodos do not flower. You don't say how old or how big
yours is. Now it has started flowering, it should do so every year, and
you should get increasing numbers of flowers. A 12 inch pot should keep
it going for several years, but eventually it will need repotting. I've
not tried giving rhodos fertilisers; maybe someone else in this NG has
more info on this aspect of growing them.

Well I did say we've had it for 3 years now, that is all I know.

Well, yes, but three years from when you got it /at what size/? I bought
a Thuja three months ago; but it was already 2.5 metres high - that
doesn't make it three months old, if you see what I mean. So what size
is it currently?

Aah ok, it's about 10 inches accross and about 6 / 8 inches high at the
moment.

That's a decent size for a R.calostrotum keleticum. It should be
flowering more than you are seeing. However, that's quite a big pot for
a small plant, and I can't see it exhausting the compost it was
originally planted in. If the leaves are a good green, it should be ok
for a while in that pot, but maybe try some Tomorite to give it a bit
more Potassium.

--

Jeff