Old 07-05-2020, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RobH[_2_] RobH[_2_] is offline

Default Rhododendron keleticum

On 07/05/2020 19:13, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 7 May 2020 18:02:10 +0100, RobH wrote:

The said plant is in bog standard type compost which I've used forother
potted plants, but it wasn't stipulated what type to use either.

So should I buy some ericaceous compost and repot it.

Thanks

Well, I would, but as I implied in my first reply, some garden centre
own-brand ericaceous composts are awful, more like subsoil, clay and
sand or aquatic compost. Are the leaves of your rhody a good green, or
are they rather yellow and a bit sickly looking? If they're green,
then the compost they're in may be acid enough. As a mid-way approach,
take some of your fresh bog standard compost and mix it with equal
parts coarse peat and re-pot in that.

Another point - do you feed it, and if so, when? Any plant in a pot
needs to be fed from time to time, using an ericaceous feed in your
case. Until they allow garden centres to re-open, you may not have
access to any, but several mentioned here on Amazon.
https://tinyurl.com/yasnfjmb

Rhodies set their flower buds for the following year in late summer.
It's worth giving them a high-potash feed in say late July to
encourage them (potash encourages flower-set). A tomato fertiliser
such as Tomorite will be OK. Again, Amazon may be your best option
https://tinyurl.com/y7tz8bsr

And if you can position it somewhere where its shaded during the
hottest part of the day, so much the better.

The leaves are a mid to light green.
No I don't feed it and nor do I feed any of the potted plants.I just go
by the labels which come with them. There is a local garden centre to me
which does have some ericaceous compost,which I can get on Saturday.
I'll ask them if they have Tomorite.
The plant is in the sun for a good few hours each day, when it is
shining, like today, but I'll move it to a less sunny area.

Thanks