Old 08-05-2020, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another ID Request Please

On 07/05/2020 18:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/05/20 18:44, thescullster wrote:
Hello Fellow Urglers

I visited a colleague of mine for the first time recently and came
across a rather attractive tree that I didn't recognise at all.

Can anyone put a name to this please
https://cpmcloud.sharefile.com/d-s7428f3907ef4c5d9?

The guy has a place near Skipsea and has planted close to 500 trees on
his land there.Â* All holes dug manually, and some of the trees grown
from seeds collected on his travels with work to Russia and Ukraine.

Apparently he has looked into the "importation" of varieties in this way
and it is accepted.

Thanks

Possibly a whitebeam - maybe something like Sorbus aria 'Lutescens', but
perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Definitely Sorbus aria agg., but identifying which one is a non-trivial
task. However this does look the Sorbus aria cultivars planted as street
trees, so I'm tempted to discount the possibility that it's a Russian or
Ukrainian species. (Sorbus aria gets as far as the Ukraine; there are
several other species of the aggregate also found in Russia and the
Ukraine.)

--
SRH