Old 11-05-2020, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Bemused proto-grumble tomato feed packaging - X-post

On 11/05/2020 13:25, David wrote:
I was having trouble location Tomrite on line and the prices were somewhat
variable (high, very high, or out of stock).

As HomeBase is now open and there is one nearby I decided to pop in if the
queue wasn't too long to see what they had.

I grabbed a bottle off the shelf (turns out it was Westland Gro-Sure
instead) and paid just over £4 for 1.5 litres (allegedly 50% extra free).

When I got home I looked at the bottle and it was only part full and the
plastic cap wasn't locked closed or the bottle sealed.
I thought I had been done, but decided to check before I set off back to
complain.
Turns out there was well over a litre in the bottle after all.

I located what looks like the same bottle on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gro-Sure-Se...mato-Plant/dp/
B00BO37QT0/
however that is listed as a 2 litre bottle.

So what I appear to have is the 2 litre bottle size but only 3/4 full, and
labelled up as 1.5 litres.

I assume that there is a run on tomato fertiliser this year (lock down
gardening) plus a problem with packaging of the correct size so they are
doing inventive things by part filling a larger bottle and using a
different label. Assuming that this is a new thing, not just a long term
way to sell 1.5 litres without needing an extra size in bottle.

Anyway, cheaper per litre than the Amazon price.

However I can see people taking the bottle back because it isn't full.

Hey ho

Dave R

Its quite common for national retail groups to specify large packs
partly filled so as to appear to give batter value. B&M bargains are the
masters of this.

Mike