Old 09-06-2020, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Transplanting courgettes (when grown on a bit)

On Tue, 09 Jun 2020 10:41:55 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

The stems are a bit brittle but they usually survive OK unless the slugs
find them immediately after planting. I always put slug bait down around
mine after planting. One year they became slug food overnight. I presume
the slugs all homed in on the bruised stem smell or something.

Yes. I grow them in pots until they are large enough to survive that.
Actually, I may have been a bit misleading, in that I pre-germinate them
on damp kitchen roll and pot them as soon as they show some root.
I don't plant them in trays - it's pointless, given I need only a few
and the seeds are large.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not sure we are talking about the same size at transplanting.

I would normally expect to plant on when both seed leaves are large, and
the true leaves are starting to grow.

Much the size that you buy from garden centres.
3" pot or smaller.

I was transplanting when there were the first fruits medium grown, several
large true leaves and from a pot around 10" diameter but fairly shallow,
with the root ball filling the pot.

So there was a lot of heavy superstructure on the plants.

Cheers

Dave R