Old 10-06-2020, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Mail Order Seed suppliers?

On 10/06/2020 00:58, David Hill wrote:
On 09/06/2020 22:24, alan_m wrote:
On 08/06/2020 22:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

I did buy a few Ebay Chinese seed batches, but was a little
dissapointed. Having said that, I couldn't plant them the year they
were supplied, so maybe that was the problem.

I'm now sure that seeds coming from China are the most common of the
weeds they can harvest

Much like the pictures of multi-colour rose flower heads that requires
a few cans of spray paint to get the final result.

I've had some good stuff from Chinese seeds, have a few packets here now
to sow.

Not my experience! However, many of the Chinese sellers were also
pretending to be UK supplier with UK stock. I made the mistake of not
checking the business addresses in their listings.

Over the past few years I've also had poor service from some of the
better known UK suppliers with shrubs. Ordered a variety and had them
turn up in good time with a label confirming variety. A year on and the
planted shrubs are showing their true colours (pun intended) and its not
what I ordered. It's not a disaster and I can live with it but it shows
poor stock control.

In previous years I've also had poor quality plug plants from some of
the bigger well known suppliers. So much so that I started to use (at
random) some of the UK smaller outfits that advertise on Ebay and found
what I received were, in general, better quality - more growth and
faster delivery. This year for obvious reasons I haven't bothered with
live plants through the post in case they were delivered by Royal Mail
or Parcel Farce which were taking a week with their 48 hour service.