Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Martin Rand

Default Douglas & rabbits [was: Coconuts & Oz / seeds]

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:27:36 GMT, "P van Rijckevorsel"
wrote:

[snip]

That forest owners are going out of business has multiple reasons but not
growing relatively high-quality woods is certainly not helping.

A fair proportion of softwoods grown in the Netherlands is indeed used as
saw wood.

BTW: Elsewhere in the world some of the finest hardwoods in existence
(actually irreplacable) are stuffed into pulp-producing machines, so the
fact that Wales chips up the local trees does not necessarily say anything
about their quality
+ + +

I think all that says is that the economics of these things varies
around the world. In Britain, native hardwoods are not finding their
way into pulp or chipboard; planted alien softwoods are. (I realize
this also has something to do with how 'hard' the hardwood is.) I was
merely worried that you were suggesting Douglas Fir and False Acacia
planations were 'high quality' in comparison with the native
hardwoods, and making an argument for replacing one with the other.
And I realize that as an economic proposition, the Oak that takes
120-150 years to realize its highest market value has an uphill
struggle against a crop requiring 30-50.

[snip]

Whenever a disease bring back rabbit populations to sufferable proportions
hunters start a management program to raise numbers.

I don't think rabbit shooting / ferreting is really thought of as much
of a 'sport' over here, so perhaps there isn't the same impetus; in
any case - let alone the necessity...

Other 'nature
management' programs include raising pheasants in cages (as pets) and them
introducing them into nature a day or two before a shooting party of hunters
passes by.

Same here, in spades - although I don't think any of those responsible
would have the gall to call it 'nature management'.

--
Martin (off-duty)
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire