Old 21-07-2020, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green Thumb?

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:

When I hear them arguing and disagreeing with eachother the thought
that immediately comes to me is "You are scientists. If there is not
a proof there that satisfies all then shut up and go seek it".

It somewhat reminds me of what I learnt as an engineer "Safety factor
is simply ignorance factor".

The former shows your misunderstanding of complex issues - why do you
think there IS a single, explicable, complete answer? There very
often isn't - and, in some cases, there are questions that are quite
simply unanswerable in such terms.

And the second is effectively ********. You cannot design for all
possible events - ships are designed only against (say) 'once in
a millennium' storms, not the worst possible storm, let alone such
things as Cumbre Viejo or the Storegga shelf collapsing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.