Old 01-08-2020, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default bad ground pot question

T wrote:
I was thinking of digging out the two pots, disposing
of the contents, let the holes suffer the summer
heat, then over winter them. Come spring, fill
them with peat moss.

Your thoughts?

i'd never throw away organic material if i can
help it.

hollyhocks are usually not that great when
transplanted. i suspect those pots aren't deep
enough for them. try some elemental sulphur in
them and then plant something else next season.

is there something else going on with those
locations? like do they get flooded more often
or not at all compared to the others? more light
more heat, etc.?

i'd use worm castings instead of peat moss.
there's just not much to peat moss and i don't
think it works well for arid climates. around
here i can create my own leaf mould or something
that looks a lot like peat moss after it has
been buried for a few years below a few feet of
clay.

songbird