Old 09-08-2020, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Bird of prey to act as 'skarecrow'.

Emrys Davies wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Emrys Davies wrote:
Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for
leather
jackets. I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and possibly
the
odd fox. The main damage is to the green's edges but it is quite
extensive.
We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

I doubt if crows or rooks or foxes are much disturbed by a 'bird of
prey'.

We have three (or more) buzzards live in the fields near us, they are
regularly mobbed by the rooks and jackdaws. Rooks and jackdaws are
*way* more skilled in the air (and simply smaller and slicker) they
have no fear of large birds of prey. I also see no way at all that a
fox would be put off by a bird of prey.

Is it really crows and magpies that are damaging your green? What are
they actually doing, they're not really the sorts of birds that peck
at a lawn.

Crows, magpies, rooks and starlings will search for leatherjackets in turf.
These birds leave small round holes in the turf where they have inserted
their beaks. They will also search for chafer grubs in a similar manner.

OK, so they do search for and eat leatherjackets in turf, however my
other comments still apply I think, they won't be put off by fake birds
of prey.

--
Chris Green
ยท