Old 09-08-2020, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Bird of prey to act as 'skarecrow'.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/08/2020 21:21, Chris Green wrote:
Emrys Davies wrote:
Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for leather
jackets. I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and possibly the
odd fox. The main damage is to the green's edges but it is quite extensive.
We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

I doubt if crows or rooks or foxes are much disturbed by a 'bird of
prey'.

Sparrowhawks aren't called sparrowhawks for nothing, although they
prefer a plump pigeon

.... and a rook or jackdaw (almost certainly with lots more around) is
a much more serious thing to take on than a sparrow, or even a pigeon.

Only dogs scare foxes

Quite.

--
Chris Green