Old 16-08-2020, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Yet another courgette question - when do the flowers open?

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 17:35:14 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 14/08/2020 16:53, David wrote:
I am having limited success growing fertilised courgettes.
Some get fertilised, but most not.

At the moment I have some male flowers and some female flowers but all
the flowers appear to be closed.
If they are closed all day, how do the insects fertilise them?

Baffled as usual

Dave R

When I was young we used to pick the male flower, remove the petals and
insert it into the middle of the female flower.

Well, yes, that is what I am trying to do.

However I would prefer the female flower to be open when I do it.
Even better if the male flower is open as well.
Up to now I've had to destroy the petals to get inside.

It would be reassuring to see both male and female flowers open at the
same time to give insects a fighting chance to pollinate naturally.

Anyway, sticky and overcast this morning and some of the female flowers
(but no males) are open, so it may be a morning thing or a weather thing.
I've normally looked after noon.

Cheers

Dave R