Old 05-09-2020, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Honeysuckle cuttings (Aberdeenshire)

On 30/08/2020 16:15, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Graeme wrote:

I helped myself to a few wild honeysuckle cuttings at the end of June,
and popped them in ordinary compost, in little clay pots, two per pot.
There were ten, two didn't take, six are growing well and two a little
less well, but certainly alive.

They are in the garden (although 2 degrees early this morning!), and
seem happy, but I am wondering how best to over winter them, as I'm not
yet ready to plant them in a final home.

Three options - and unheated greenhouse, shed or spare bedroom. The
unheated spare bedroom would be ideal, on a table in front of a window,
where I will be able to keep an eye on them, and keep slightly moist.

Does that sound OK? Thanks.

Yes. But they should be fine outside if you can keep their roots
from freezing solid and/or waterlogging - and might even survive even
those. I would tend to bury the pots in the ground, but it depends
on where you are in Aberdeenshire.

I overwinter honeysuckle seedlings and cuttings with no frost protection
at all in North Yorkshire. That said the past few years pelargoniums and
other tender perennials normally treated as annuals have also survived
since we haven't had a seriously cold winter for quite a while.

Provided that they are not saturated with water they are very hardy. You
did well to strike so many wild cuttings they can be a bit tetchy. A
sheltered spot outside would be my choice unless it gets very cold.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown