Old 11-09-2020, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinths

On 11/09/2020 10:55, Pwllgloyw wrote:
Whilst buying some prepared hyacinths in the garden center, I noticed
they had a guide to planting etc. When I looked at it, it stressed that
the pot you plant in MUST have drain holes!

I've obviously been doing things wrong for the last 50 years, and don't
intend to change, but what do others do?

Do they also insist on decent compost being used, rather than the "bulb
fibre" which, although holding water well, has very little in the way of
nutrients?

Is the instruction to use pots with drainage holes because they are
suggesting that the bulbs can be kept from year to year rather than be
discarded?

--

Jeff