Old 11-09-2020, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinths

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I note that hyacinths are often grown indoors over water in a
'hyacinth vase', where only the very base of the bulb touches the
water but the roots are fully immersed. I works with other bulbs too,
apparently. That suggests that the roots of those bulbs are more
tolerant of waterlogging than plants in general.

Possibly. But that water is almost certainly more aerated than the
water that accumulates at the bottom of a container, and quite a
few plants can handle aerated water but not anaerobic water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.