Old 13-09-2020, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Rechargeable Mowers

On 2020-09-13, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
these?

What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been
round long enough to know?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to
recommend a model suitable for this?

Soemone asked back in April, I posted the following...

Yes, we bought one 4 years ago. A Cobra Self Propelled Cordless Mower,
model MX46S-40V. Soem bits are bit "plasticy" but it's held up ok. It has
2 batteries, and switches over from one to the other so you can do a
longer spell of mowing. One battery does about 30 mins of mowing. We
bought an extra battery, so if we need to we can do about 90 mins of
mowing - which just about does our garden (third of an acre) as long as we
keep up to the cutting.

The battery doesn't last as long if the grass is damp/wet or long. We tend
not to use the self-drive - the mower is alot lighter than an equiv.
petrol mower - and that makes the battery last a bit longer.

We had one battery fail in its guarantee period (2 years) and got a
replacement with no problem. Our garden has some rough areas and the mower
just about copes, though previous petrol mowers were more powerful.

Our "lawns" have a lot of moss and non-grass, so we tend not to cut low.
I'd think this would cope absolutely no problem with more standard lawns.