Old 21-09-2020, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default first frost

Gary Woods wrote:
We got a very light frost the same night; some bush beans near the
ground got singed, but a tuberous begonia in the front of the house
did not. Even some basil survived, and as you know even the forecast
of frost will kill basil.

it was certainly more than a light frost here with ice
forming in the birdbaths. one is a pretty big thing (a
steel drum covered with rocks/cement) that should take a
while to cool off to get cold enough to freeze...

I've covered the tomatos I planted rather late to hopefully protect
them until warmer weather next week....the "Golden Jubilee" plants
have a lot of full-sized green tomatos, and they're SWMBO's favorite.

we're about done with tomatoes here. good season for
us. put up nearly three hundred quarts of tomato juice
or tomato chunks.

....and Orion is visible out an east window if nature gets me up in
the wee hours.

perhaps that's why they call them the wee hours?

songbird