Old 04-10-2020, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Viburnam collapsed with spongy wood - seeking possible cause

On 04/10/2020 16:45, wrote:
On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 1:29:26 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

I'm not sure how similar the cracks in your photo are to those on my
Viburnam. Unfortunately I can't take any more photos, I've got rid of the tree.
Phytophthora was my initial best guess as well, but would it cause the large-
scale sponginess of the tree and roots I am seeing?

No. The sponginess will be due to a fungus. Also, as Nick has noted, if
the leaves were pretty much untouched, it won't be Phytophthora or
Verticillium.

--

Jeff