Old 04-10-2020, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Viburnam collapsed with spongy wood - seeking possible cause

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

If the Grevillea was killed by either Phytophthora or Verticillium then
I made a hurried mistake replacing it with a Cotinus! I'll dig it up
when it's dormant, wash off the soil, and put it in a pot for a couple
of years. Not sure what I'll put in it's place; maybe a conifer.

I wouldn't worry - it's had Verticillium for many years (probably
over a decade), and the main effect has to be keep its growth
down so that its shoots are only a couple of feet (rather than
six!). And, assuming the pathogen was in the soil, it took thirty
years for it to become infected. Cotinus are much tougher than
Grevillia.

Conifers are prone to fungal infection, too, and there's no way for
an ordinary person to identify such pathogens precisely. Whatever
you plant will be a risk.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.