Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Philip Wright

Default programming

Hi Mandy,

If you are wanting to learn in order to gain greater access to specific
databases then you should probably learn those particular databases.
Most modern databases like IBM's DB2, Oracle, and MS SQL Server use
a standardized query language called SQL (Structured Query Language)
that there are many resources for. These databases also have built in
query facilities like IBM's CLP (Command Line Processor) that are used
to make ad hoc queries into it's databases. You might want to talk to
the administrators of the databases in question to get a recommendation
on the tools that are available to you.

Good luck,
Philip Wright

Mandy wrote:

I am thinking about getting into a little bit of computer programming
in order to make digging through databases for gene sequences more
convenient for myself. Has anyone gotten into programming? If so, is
there a language that you recommend I learn or that you recommend I
not learn. I was going to try to learn in Perl or Python. Thanks and
have a great day!

Mandy Kendrick