Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
David Hershey

Default poisonous seed dissemination?

The black to purple berries of deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna)
are poisonous to people but European rabbits eat them safely. The
rabbits have an enzyme, atropinesterase, that inactivates the
nightshade toxin called atropine.

Some fruit hang on for awhile until animals get desperate enough to
eat them, or maybe because the fruit have to "age" or migrating birds
arrive later to eat them. Your observation that the fruit are
withering and would presumably drop might give mice and other small
animals a chance to eat them.

There is a hypothesis that there are many plants whose preferred seed
dispersers went extinct relatively recently. The so-called megabeasts,
such as mastodons, giant ground sloths, and ancestors of camels and
hippos, were all killed off in America about 13,000 years ago. Some
ecologists believe many trees coevolved with megabeasts and therefore
have fruit or thorns that are anachronistic. Examples include the
large orange-like fruit of Osage orange (Maclura pomifera) and the
honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos) with large thorns on its trunk and
large pods with seeds that have very hard seed coats. Supposedly,
mastodons may have eaten such fruit. The thorns would have protected
the bark.

More recently in North America, Carolina parakeet and the massive
flocks of passenger pigeons became extinct. They both probably left a
void in seed dispersal of native plants. Then again, people have also
greatly reduced the number of native plants.