Old 14-10-2020, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Colour-blind birds?

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 14:00:44 Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Graeme
writes

In message , Andy Burns
writes

My holly bush is having a bumper year for berries, but the birds
don't seem to have noticed, have they all gone colour-blind?

Birds here are having a field day, attacking the windfall apples,
bright orange and red pyracantha berries and anything else they can
find.

My large holly bush was once stripped bare of berries in a few minutes
when a flock of birds landed on it. [They were 'strangers' in these
parts, and I think they were just passing through. They were the size
of doves, but had red flashes on their wings. I'm not sure what they
were.]

Redwings, members of the thrush family. I get them every year and they
strip my viburnum in a couple of days. They haven't arrived here in
Reading yet this year but I've been looking out for them.

David