Old 19-10-2020, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Colour-blind birds?

snip

Thanks for all the replies. One thing I didn't mention was that, this

year, neither of the two pyracanthas I have growing together (almost as

one - one red berried and one orange berried) have had no flowers*, so

there won't be any berries for the birds. Also, the holly bushes have

only had a few.

*Just as well - I dislike their sweet, sickly smell!

I have an old orange pyracantha, which I have limited to 3 feet high and
assumed that is why it has had very few berries over the years.
Last spring, before my first 'trim' it was covered in flowers and the
leaves were pale green (on the South side) Since then I have avoided
trimming the berries, but kept them visible by trimming the new (very
vigorous green sheets).
Now the South side of the shrub has a mass of ripening orange berries
with pale leaves and the North side almost no berries and dark leaves
Whether this has anything to do with putting plants under stress to
force them to flower, I am not sure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfdpea5vuj...x&view=cm&tf=1

I think that should be a photo
--