Old 19-10-2020, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Colour-blind birds?

On 19/10/2020 10:33, Ian Jackson wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. One thing I didn't mention was that, this
year, neither of the two pyracanthas I have growing together (almost as
one - one red berried and one orange berried) have had no flowers*, so
there won't be any berries for the birds. Also, the holly bushes have
only had a few.
*Just as well - I dislike their sweet, sickly smell!

No berries on your Pyracantha? You don't know how lucky you are! I had
our tree cut to about half its height by our tree surgeons as couple of
years ago (they said that trimming Pyracanthas was of the jobs they hate
the most as it is so well armed). It's now back to about 3/4 its
original size and is fruiting like mad:
https://ibb.co/PN3zXxt

One tree which is much better behaved and is one of our favourites in
autumn is Cotoneaster 'Hybridus Pendulus'. The one we have is about 3 x
3 metres and was already probably 30 years old when we moved in 8 years
ago. Unfortunately a sickly cypress had been leaning on it for years,
and a large chunk was missing from one side. The tree surgeons removed
the cypress, but the cotoneaster still hasn't regained its shape.Maybe
in another 8 years or so it will:
https://ibb.co/crVSczF

--

Jeff