Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Default 'Shimpaku'

I think I got my answer. Apparently the RHS decided that Juniperus xmedia was
too broad a basket. The cross of J. chinensis x sabina is now called J.
xpfitzeriana, which I assume just includes the Pfitzer juniper group.
'Shimpaku' is back to being a cultivar of J. chinensis, where it started
originally. Since many of these exotic cultivars have never been seen in the
wild, and some of them have never bloomed, like bamboo, their taxonomy is
anybody's guess.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885