Old 22-10-2020, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default How to prune a passion flower?

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 19:39:21 +0100, Another John
wrote:

We have a Passion Flower (looks like Passiflora foetida) which did
nothing for years, and then two years ago exploded into flowers, and
wound itself all over the place.

Same again last year - by the end of which it was threatening to take
over that corner of the garden, and so I cut it back with shears.

It didn't seem to like that, because it was sulking for most of the
start of this year, and then rallied in early September, flowered, and
wound around in a healthy way.

What would you say that I'm *supposed* to do with it? One of my
gardening books says shortly: "Do not prune".

Perhaps I pruned at the wrong time, last year?

Cheers
John

As you've got it growing outside, it's most probably Passiflora
caerulea, the blue passion flower https://tinyurl.com/yy99sxfa Most of
the other passion flower species aren't hardy outdoors, although IIRC
P. incarnata, AKA Maypops will survive for a few years in sheltered
spots https://tinyurl.com/y28mrexv. This is P. foetida
https://tinyurl.com/y2ns5kj7 although it's a variable species with
many varieties. I believe the flower buds are hairy, and the leaves
give off a rather unpleasant smell when crushed, hence the name.

In general, pruning of passionflowers only needs to be done to keep
the plant tidy and within bounds. Remove a few of the growths back to
the base, but leave some growths to keep the sap rising. Once new
shoots have started growing from low down, the older ones can be
removed. Best done in Spring when growth is active, otherwise there's
a greater risk of fungal infections entering through the cut ends.

Chris - perfect answer, thank you!

Yes you're right about the variety/species -- I had forgotten the
specific, because we bought it years and years ago. The spectacular
flower of foetida on the Wikipedia page made me think it was that:
caerulea, as you have shown, is no less spectacular - looks like the
same plant almost! These flowers never cease to "impress our friends"
(and us!).

Thanks a lot
John