Old 03-11-2020, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sorting out the mint.....

On 03/11/2020 19:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 18:27:58 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Only for ground elder do I resort to chemical warfare prior to digging.
Since that has a tendency to come back from every tiny piece you miss.

I do that only where I can't dig it up. While it regrows, that shows
you where to remove the root fragments :-)

Now, lesser bindweed, on the other hand ....

I have cleared a bed of bindweed by your technique for mint - dig out
as many of the roots as you can find; wait until what's left is
foolish enough to reveal itself by sending up shoots and dig those
out; repeat until nothing more appears.

Mind you, there was nothing else in the bed - no perennials, no
shrubs, and I had all of the lock-down summer to do it, but I'm
confident it's clear. If any shoots do appear, next spring now, I'll
just pluck them off.

But it's surprising how much you miss first time round - and the
second time - and the third etc. :-(

I reckon each bed gets 80% cleared every time I weed it so it
exponentially tends towards being weed free - until new seeds blow in!