Old 03-11-2020, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sorting out the mint.....

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Now, lesser bindweed, on the other hand ....

I have cleared a bed of bindweed by your technique for mint - dig out
as many of the roots as you can find; wait until what's left is
foolish enough to reveal itself by sending up shoots and dig those
out; repeat until nothing more appears.

It took me over a decade of doing that to reduce it in my vegetable
area to a few hold-outs, which are there after 40 years. I tried
leaving the ground fallow, so I could dig it, and there was no
reduction after a year. That's sandy soil, so the roots go down at
least three feet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.