Old 11-11-2020, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hot and cold composting

On 11/11/2020 11:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:57, Broadback wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:37, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
That side is now completely full, so I'll start filling up the other
side again, starting with shredded leaves. The first side should be
ready by 2025...

The science is a mystery to me too, but am thinking about composting
leaves, which, if shredded, apparently only take a year or so to turn
into compost.

May be worth restricting your currently empty bin to shredded leaves
only, and see what has happened by this time next year?

The composting time of leaves ius dependent on the type of leaves.
Beech,for example are very slow to break down.

Unfortunately, my neighbour's tree is a beech and it buries the borders
and lawn in its leaves this time of year (we've already suffered the
masts). I've noticed how slow the leaves are to break down, and my worms
seem to leave them alone as well. Even partially-shredded leaves in
polythene bags, with the leaves soaked and then holes made in the bags
to help aeration, have recognisable beech leaves after 3 years.

It shouldn't. They take me about two years to turn beech leaves to leaf
mould. The first year they are packed into my green (compost recycling)
wheelie bin with a few added holes (don't tell the council). By then it
has rotted down enough in the bulk that it is about half full. I decant
the semi composted parts into two black bins where they complete the
next year. By then it is fine enough to use as compost and very friable.

The top layer dries out and doesn't rot so well and goes back in as the
lower level of the new wheelie bin at this time of year. I top the
leaves up as and when there is space in the green bin. Keeping the
moisture level right is key to having it all turn into leaf mould.

There seem to be few "soft" tree leaves. Holly and bay are tough as old
boots. Oak and beech are tough; sycamore, chestnut, and horse chestnut
moderately so. Ash and Japanese maple seem reasonably soft. Wisteria
leafs are soft, but the stalks are hard and the leaf vacuum won't pick
them up anyway!

Most tree leaves have tannins and other antifungal inhibitors in. You
need to seed it with some already rotted leaf mould as a starter culture
to help things on their way.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown