Old 11-11-2020, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Hot and cold composting

On 2020-11-11, Jeff Layman wrote:

I've no idea. The "science" of composting remains a mystery to me. My
composting is done in two adjoining wooden square containers, each of
120 x 120cm. The pile inside can get to 100 cm high - maybe even 120 -
before rain and time slowly allows it to sink. I fill it with grass
mowings, shredded leaves, herbaceous material, shredded woody stems,
occasionally fruit and veg peelings, and soil and commercial growing
compost from old pots.

It /always/ exists in one of two states, dry and cold or wet and cold,
depending on how much rain we've had. In the 8 years since I built it,
the contents have never been warm.

I'm gob smacked. My compost heaps are that size and a similar mix - in
spring summer it is always hot - in winter it varies. Do you cover your heap?