Old 18-11-2020, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hot and cold composting

On 14/11/2020 17:52, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 13:31:12 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

I used to sometimes use Garotta cut with ammonium sulphate as a started
culture to encourage the heap to run hot at the start of the season.

Was informed a few years ago, that Garotta was a waste of money, as
there is enough (of what Garotta supplied) in any spade full of soil,

I am not sure that is entirely true at least on small garden heaps it
does seem to help them to go hot at more a modest size.

Would agree that "bulk" "water" "Air" are vital, my three pallett bins
are never covered, for that very reason, I look on the top 3" is as
good a heat reatainer as any carpet.

I agree that on a palette or door sized compost heap with large amounts
added at once it hardly matters what you do since it goes hot anyway.

I don't have shares in Garotta, but I do think it can be useful in small
gardens to help a heap along at the start of a season.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown