Old 18-11-2020, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_8_] Bob Hobden[_8_] is offline

Default Overwintering Begonias & Fuchsias

On 18 Nov 2020 13:58, Martin Brown wrote:
I came by (they survived winter) some quite nice begonias and fuchsias
whilst recycling compost from the VH hanging baskets this year. They
have done very well and I was wondering how best to over winter them.

They clearly have tubers and advice seems to vary as to whether they
*must* have a winter dormancy period or can be grown year round as a
houseplant. They do still look quite pretty and in flower but if they
are to survive the winter in growth I will need to bring them in PDQ.

My suspicion is that they are semitropical under storey plants and would
grow year round subject to light and heat. Same I guess for fuchsias.

Since they survived last year being totally ignored and up in hanging
baskets perhaps it is enough to put them in a dryish sheltered spot.
What experience do others have of overwintering tender plants outdoors?

Space is limited in the warm, light and dry.
Frost free has more space but not a great deal of light.

I have some tuberous begonias I inherited from my mother after she died
in 1993 as well as some "posh ones" I purchased from Fibrex Nursery a
few years ago.
I either dig them up, place in a tray of moist compost and bring
into our perspex roofed garage or bring the pot into the garage. Do not
let the compost go completely dry but certainly never wet either.
In spring when you see buds forming on the tubers repot, be careful
with watering until they are growing away strongly.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden