Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Larix xmarschlinsii

While I don't know any larches personally, I occasionally have to label them
for a bonsai show, so this has me puzzled. The usually accepted name for
Dunkeld larch is Larix xleptolepis, which dates from 1919. Larix xmarschlinsii,
dating from 1917, is on the RHS checklist of accepted names of conifer species
(for registration of cultivars). However, IPNI only lists L. xeurolepis,
opening the question of whether xmarschlinsii was validly published. And
W3TROPICOS lists neither of them, although it lists several other larch
hybrids.
Can anyone throw further light on this?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885