Old 26-11-2020, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_8_] Bob Hobden[_8_] is offline

Default Planting a new tree in a hedegrow - ?

On 26 Nov 2020 10:56, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The glyphosate will do no harm to anything planted after the sycamore
has died. Do you intend to remove the sycamore stump after it has

died?
If not, it might attract fungal attack. Whether or not that would

affect
the cherry or anything else already growing in the hedge is difficult

say, but it is unlikely to have a major effect.

It WILL be attacked and eventually broken down by saprophytic fungi,
but I agree what you say - very few of those harm living plants,
and planting close to a decaying stump is rarely a problem.

Ivy will have to be removed by hand, but is shallow-rooted.

My experience with Ivy is that it's a lot easier to get rid of than you
think especially if it's only actually growing from a few places. Dig
down a few inches and cut it through, it will die and there are no
dormant buds below ground to resprout.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden