Old 27-11-2020, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting a new tree in a hedegrow - ?

On 26/11/2020 17:38, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 26 Nov 2020 10:56, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The glyphosate will do no harm to anything planted after the sycamore
has died. Do you intend to remove the sycamore stump after it has

died?
If not, it might attract fungal attack. Whether or not that would

affect
the cherry or anything else already growing in the hedge is difficult

say, but it is unlikely to have a major effect.

Putting a new full size tree into a hedge might be tricky since it will
have to fight the established hedge for resources. Seedlings that happen
to occur deep in the hedge seem to do better. I have some holly that has
appeared in mine and I am slowly allowing it to replace a chunk.

It is already a multispecies hedge with roughly 3m sections of all of
one species but I have allowed wild roses and some ivy in as well.

It WILL be attacked and eventually broken down by saprophytic fungi,
but I agree what you say - very few of those harm living plants,
and planting close to a decaying stump is rarely a problem.

Drilling the stump and hitting it with root out ammonium sulphamate
might be more effective than glyphosate which need to hit leaves.

Ivy will have to be removed by hand, but is shallow-rooted.

My experience with Ivy is that it's a lot easier to get rid of than you
think especially if it's only actually growing from a few places. Dig
down a few inches and cut it through, it will die and there are no
dormant buds below ground to resprout.

You can often just rip the tops off and then hit it with brushwood
killer on the soft new spring regrowth if you want rid of it. I tend to
leave some to grow for the winter berries that bring in the birds.

I have found bindweed in hedges impossible to eliminate...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown