Old 27-11-2020, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting a new tree in a hedegrow - ?

On 26/11/2020 21:38, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

The glyphosate will do no harm to anything planted after the sycamore
has died. Do you intend to remove the sycamore stump after it has died?
If not, it might attract fungal attack. Whether or not that would affect
the cherry or anything else already growing in the hedge is difficult to
say, but it is unlikely to have a major effect.

Thanks Jeff - reassuring.

No, I don't intend to try and remove it -- if I thought it would come
easy, I wouldn't be thinking about the glyphosate route. Removing
stumps, I have found [especially in recent years] is the hardest work in
the garden :-(

Not with a mini digger!

I am, however, going to have a good go at shoving it back and forth
before cutting it right down. It's currently about 6' tall, which is a
good lever to use, if it wobbles a bit with a good shove!

Seriously consider hiring a digger for a day - £150 maybe top price.
Even if access is limited you can

- trench down each side
- and if necessary cut any lateral roots with a chainsaw or handsaw or
hatchet or even a hand axe.
- with luck trench in front of it as well.
- then usually it can be lifted out snapping what laterals are left, or
if it is tall, pulled over from the top. Then the remaining roots are
exposed and can be cut.
- finally the soil levels can me made good with the digger using the
blade as a grader.
- the digger can be used to cart the stump away to the bonfire too
- and driving a mini digger is FUN.

Cheers
John

its shoes.