Old 27-11-2020, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans

On 27/11/2020 13:28, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Judith wrote:
I left some runners to go to seed so that I can use them next year, they
tasted great! However, when do I pick them off and is there anything I
should be doing to preserve them, sorry to be so ignorant, I know it
would be easier to buy new next year but I really like these.

No problem. They grow perfectly well from seed and, as you say, are
excellent as dried beans. However, you MUST boil them for at least
5 minutes (preferably 10) before putting them in anything like a slow
cooker or slowly simmering casserole, to destroy the toxins. You
don't need a rolling boil, as it is the temperature that matters.

Does that apply only to beans which have been dried? I have often eaten
several whole raw runner beans and not suffered even the slightest
stomach upset. But the first time I made chili con carne from dried
kidney beans I didn't know you had to rolling boil them for around half
an hour. The result wasn't nice at all...

--

Jeff