Old 27-11-2020, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

I left some runners to go to seed so that I can use them next year, they
tasted great! However, when do I pick them off and is there anything I
should be doing to preserve them, sorry to be so ignorant, I know it
would be easier to buy new next year but I really like these.

No problem. They grow perfectly well from seed and, as you say, are
excellent as dried beans. However, you MUST boil them for at least
5 minutes (preferably 10) before putting them in anything like a slow
cooker or slowly simmering casserole, to destroy the toxins. You
don't need a rolling boil, as it is the temperature that matters.

Does that apply only to beans which have been dried? I have often eaten
several whole raw runner beans and not suffered even the slightest
stomach upset. But the first time I made chili con carne from dried
kidney beans I didn't know you had to rolling boil them for around half
an hour. The result wasn't nice at all...

It wasn't bad - you clearly lived - that doesn't always happen.

Yes, it applies to fresh beans, too, but the toxin develops as they
mature and is in the seeds (mainly the skins), so young seeds in
green beans isn't a problem. Red kidney are the worst, but there
is enough toxin in runners to cause problems for at least some
people. My understanding is that all of the deaths are from red
kidney beans. Broad beans have very little of the toxin, though
much tougher and somewhat tannic skins - skinless ones are very good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.